Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum salary: $115,000 / year
Location: Remote – Anywhere (U.S.)
Reports to: Deputy Editor
Are you a writer’s editor? An extraordinary manager? An idea-generator and wordsmith who sees the news through a gender lens? If so, The 19th wants to work with you!
The 19th’s story editor will manage an extraordinary team of 3-5 reporters, helping to assign, shape, edit and produce journalism that drives the day, and finds the most compelling gender angles on the biggest national headlines.
The ideal candidate has terrific judgment and story ideas, experience writing and editing enterprise and accountability journalism, and the ability to quickly turn breaking news when needed. They also have a track record of managing teams, and of inspiring, energizing and mentoring reporters with varying levels of experience.
The story editor will report to our deputy editor.
- Working with a team of beat reporters — largely remotely — to conceive of, guide and edit conceptual scoops and exceptional stories.
- Collaborating across departments to pursue accompanying visuals, data analysis, audience engagement opportunities, social media assets, partnerships or live events that complement our journalism.
- Managing the daily and weekly editorial workflow while planning for and executing on longer-term projects.
Non-essential duties (as capacity permits):
- Participate in culture building, inclusive decision making, and bringing ideas to different parts of our work in order to help us improve as an organization. For example, helping to onboard new team members and participating in our hiring process
- Participate in team building, organizational and individual relationship building, and professional development throughout the year
- Other duties as assigned
Relevant skills include:
- 5+ years in a newsroom, with at least two years of full-time editing experience.
- Understanding of Google Trends, Twitter, Facebook, CrowdTangle and other tools for finding trending stories
- Comfort with baseline analytics, and SEO optimization
- Experience with content management systems; WordPress is a plus
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Vacation Time Off (20 days per year)
- Sick Time Off (10 days per year)
- Personal Days (6 days per year)
- Holidays (17 days in 2022)
- Paid Family Leave (100% up to 6 months)
- Caregiver leave (100% up to 4 months)
- 401(k) Plan (up to 3.5% matching on 6% contribution)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical or child care expenses)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (100% for employee / 60% for dependents)
- Professional Development Stipends
- Wellness & Work From Home Reimbursement Benefits
- Long Term and Short Term Disability insurance
- Life insurance