Starting salary: $70K/year
Location: Austin, TX
Do you have dozens of alerts sent to your phone? Are you someone who acknowledges, but ultimately ignores, reminders to stop doomscrolling? Are you a newshound who sees stories through a gender lens? The 19th wants to work with you! The 19th’s breaking news reporter will write the quick-turn stories that drive the day, finding the most compelling gender angle on the biggest national headlines. You’d be responsible for both persistent reporting and regular contributions to our daily newsletter.
The ideal candidate is tuned in to the news cycle and part of the daily conversation. The ability to write quickly, accurately and with clarity on a tight deadline is paramount. Must love: breaking news scoops and finding angles our audience needs. Being comfortable on TV, the radio and the event stage is a plus.
- Writing breaking news stories on tight deadlines with clarity and accuracy
- Working with the newsletter editor to help with our daily newsletter needs
- Maintaining a schedule that allows for both quick-turn stories and the ability to work on longer-term projects with other editors and writers in the newsroom
Relevant skills include:
- 1+ years of experience writing breaking news stories, preferably in politics
- Experience with Google Trends, Twitter, Facebook, Crowdtangle and other applications that monitor trends
- Proficiency in GSuite and content management systems, preferably WordPress
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (12 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
How to apply