Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum salary: $90,000 / year
Location: Anywhere in the US (Remote)
Reports to: Chief Product Officer
The 19th is seeking a talented and collaborative designer with strong UI, UX and visual design skills to help us create news products with and for our audience: women, women of color and the LGBTQ+ community. As The 19th’s sole product designer, you will collaborate with the product team to iterate our existing products (website, newsletters, membership and events) and have the opportunity to design new ones.
The product designer will leverage qualitative and quantitative data to design user experiences that serve our audience and meet business goals. They will own design projects from start to finish, including ideation, wireframes, usability testing, hi-fidelity comps and/or prototypes and specs. They will work closely with engineers to test and ship intuitive, effective and sophisticated designs that exceed accessibility standards and represent The 19th brand across products.
- Design experiences that serve our audience and meet business goals for growth, engagement and retention.
- Use layout, hierarchy, typography and color with strong rationale.
- Create and maintain a design system for our website and newsletters. Align designs with our brand guidelines and thoughtfully advocate for new styles and patterns, as needed.
- Collaborate with the audience director to deeply understand The 19th’s current and prospective audience, including their behaviors, needs and desires.
- Create prototypes to test user behavior and design. Identify the prototyping method that best suits the project and time constraints.
- Work closely with engineers, brand designers, product managers and stakeholders to work around constraints and ship designs.
- Participate in quality assurance and grow an understanding of our technical systems to make smart tradeoffs that balance quality, speed and learning.
- Ship designs that consistently pass usability tests and exceed accessibility standards.
- Follow trends and technology updates that impact their portfolio, such as new CSS capabilities, accessibility concerns and SEO best practices
Non-essential duties (as capacity permits):
- Participate in culture-building, inclusive decision-making, and bringing ideas to different parts of our work in order to help us improve as an organization. For example, helping to onboard new team members and participating in our hiring process
- Participate in team-building, organizational and individual relationship building, and professional development throughout the year
- Other duties as assigned
Relevant skills include:
- 4+ years of experience in a product design or similar role.
- Demonstrated ability to consider the complete user journey. Detail-oriented about potential dead-ends, errors and other states.
- Proficient in accessibility standards and invested in growing knowledge of how people living with disabilities use news products.
- Experience translating qualitative and qualitative data and product requirements into intuitive, effective designs.
- Track record of meeting deadlines and managing multiple projects at once. Communicative about project status and what they need to be successful.
- Communicates complex ideas, goals and problems in a way that is accessible to those unfamiliar with the project. Confident presenting work and facilitating feedback.
- Looks for opportunities to learn. Optimistic and positive about growth and feedback.
- News experience is a plus.
- Accessibility certification is a plus.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Vacation Time Off (20 days per year)
- Sick Time Off (10 days per year)
- Personal Days (6 days per year)
- Holidays (17 days in 2022)
- Paid Family Leave (100% up to 6 months)
- Caregiver leave (100% up to 4 months)
- 401(k) Plan (up to 3.5% matching on 6% contribution)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical or child care expenses)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (100% for employee / 60% for dependents)
- Professional Development Stipends
- Wellness & Work From Home Reimbursement Benefits
- Long Term and Short Term Disability insurance
- Life insurance
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply here by March 17 by Midnight CT (deadline extended). Have questions about this position? Contact [email protected] (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply here.)