Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum salary: $85K/year
Location: Remote (Anywhere in the US)
Reports to: Chief People Officer
The 19th is seeking an equity-centered people operations manager to support key human resource processes and help us build an industry-leading employment experience aligned with our mission.
For us, this means a diverse organization that puts its people first, is trauma-informed in how it operates and applies mindfulness as a business tool. We aspire toward radical candor and having the tough conversations needed to grow together as an organization. We envision a culture of safety and transparency, where staff members know where they stand and feel heard around decisions that impact them. We’re looking for someone who understands that the road to this vision is paved with intentionality; for us, that means designing iterative processes that incorporate diverse perspectives at every step.
As people operations manager, you will also be a key member of our fellowships team, working closely with the fellowships director to make sure our employee and fellow experiences are consistent and integrated. You’ll help recruit and nurture rising talent within the program, and ensure that our inaugural Frances Ellen Watkins Harper fellowship program furthers equity in the field of journalism for women of color and LGBTQ+ people.
- Manage, iterate and help improve the full cycle recruiting process for all staff and fellow hires. Coordinate and conduct interviews and partner with hiring managers, departments and other team members to build diverse pools of candidates. Facilitate an equitable hiring process throughout.
- Manage, iterate and help improve our onboarding process for all staff and fellows. Work with hiring managers to build custom onboarding schedules and coordinate all related meetings.
- Manage our benefits program in partnership with our Professional Employment Organization (PEO) and payroll system, JustWorks. Conduct benefit surveys and analyses, and support our annual open enrollment.
- Support and help implement staff policies and provide regular reminders for key policies as needed. Support Chief People Officer in researching, improving and building new policies based on our values and mission.
- Support organizational efforts toward employee engagement and build relationships with staff to help determine their individual needs. Coordinate and help build staff surveys to measure engagement and help in decision making pertaining to staff.
- Conduct semi-monthly payroll entries and manage data in our JustWorks platform, including entering compensation and other role changes while maintaining appropriate back up.
- Maintain digital employment files in compliance with state and federal regulations and according to organizational and department needs. Maintain applicant and employee data within our various databases, particularly in AirTable.
- Field employment-related inquiries from job applicants, employees, fellows and managers, escalating complex matters as needed.
- Support compensation analyses and organizational efforts toward building more equitable pay structures. Support education of staff regarding equitable compensation practices.
- Conduct exit interviews and project-manage the employee off-boarding process.
- Manage, iterate and improve feedback and performance evaluation processes for all staff and fellows. Partner with managers to develop more effective feedback based on the individualized needs of employees.
- Conduct research and propose improvements to our current policies and identify gaps. Maintain organizational knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management and employment law.
- Support individualized professional development plans and work with Chief People Officer and managers to build meaningful growth trajectories for all staff; partner with the fellowships team with regards to post-fellowship job placement.
- Support and help implement staff-wide skills trainings, workshops, and professional growth programs for fellows and staff including our speaker series and staff retreats.
- Review, track, and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training including safety training, anti-harassment training, and others as is required by state and federal laws.
- Support Chief People Officer and leadership efforts towards diversity, equity and inclusion.
Relevant skills include:
- 5+ years of progressive human resources experience required, with at least 1 year in a human resources manager or people manager function preferred
- Experience in startup, newsroom, or nonprofit environments a plus
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to lead with empathy, sensitivity, and a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and utmost confidentiality
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Paid Family Leave (100% up to 6 months)
- 401(k) Plan (up to 3.5% matching on 6% contribution)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical or child care expenses)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (100% for employee / 60% for dependents)
- Long Term and Short Term Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time-off (20 days per year)
- Major Holidays (13 per year)
- Caregiver leave (100% up to 4 months)
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply at the link below by Dec. 16 at 6:00 PM PST. Have questions about this position? Contact Jayo Miko Macasaquit (CPO) at [email protected]. (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply at the link below)