Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum Salary: $70,000 / year
Location: Remote (Anywhere in the US)
Reports to: Sr Director of Events
The 19th is hiring an Events Producer to support our nonprofit news organization’s dynamic slate of virtual and in-person events. The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission of The 19th and believes in the impact live journalism can have in informing and engaging audiences in important policy conversations. A background in events, production or project management would be an asset.
As Events Producer, you will work closely with the editorial, creative, product and audience teams to program and execute all aspects of our events, from brainstorming and booking speakers to writing events copy that engages our target audiences. You will help manage the planning and logistics for a wide variety of events, from short newsmaker conversations on social platforms to our annual multi-day summit. The ideal candidate is highly organized, resourceful and detail-oriented. You are an excellent communicator and collaborator who can efficiently manage event goals and tasks internally while also keeping speakers, performers and external partners informed on event deadlines and deliverables.
As we seek to expand to in-person events, we’re also looking for someone who is energized by the demands of travel and event production, is quick on their feet and calm in a crisis (because even the best laid events plans can always go awry!). You will report to our Senior Director of Events.
- Facilitate proactive, engaging and consistent communication with event participants and partners. Support the senior director of events in coordinating between internal and external groups.
- Helping maintain a busy event calendar. Coordinate recording times and participation with busy high-level speakers. Stay on top of timelines within each event. Will also coordinate travel for in-person events.
- Support the whole event team with well organized information, data, and assignments. Comfortable working with excel, Airtable or comparable tools.
- Keeping track of a lot of moving parts and priorities for each event.
- Travel up to 12 times per year once in-person events are in full swing, in addition to staff-wide events requiring travel.
Relevant skills include:
- 3+ years experience in event coordination, production or other project-focused role
- Self-starting, proactive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills with strong attention to detail
- Creativity; ability to think about events with a storytelling or journalistic eye
- Collaborative; ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Experience in project management systems and software (such as Airtable) a plus
- Experience in a newsroom is a plus
- Ability to manage physical demands of event production, including lifting up to 25 pounds, walking up and down stairs, and navigating event spaces of different structures which may at times involve sustained periods of standing or sitting
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Paid Family Leave (100% up to 6 months)
- 401(k) Plan (up to 3.5% matching on 6% contribution)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical or child care expenses)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (100% for employee / 60% for dependents)
- Long Term and Short Term Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time-off (20 days per year)
- Major Holidays (13 per year)
- Caregiver leave (100% up to 4 months)
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply at the link below by January 3, 2022. Have questions about this position? Contact Faith Smith (Sr Director of Events) at [email protected] (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply at the link below)