Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum salary: $155K/year
Location: Austin, TX preferred but open to remote from anywhere in the US
The 19th is hiring a Chief Financial Officer to grow and maintain the accounting and finance infrastructure for our scaling nonprofit news organization. As CFO, you will lead and own accounting, finance, FP&A, program financials, budget, treasury, legal and compliance. You will be the key resource who brings numbers to life for the rest of our leadership team as we continue to grow our newsroom to reach a broader audience. You will be the hands-on and transparent finance leader who can offer practical solutions and guidance as well as strategic vision and direction. All along, you will champion our mission through equitable leadership practices. This position reports to the CEO.
- Accounting (pledge accounting, AP, AR, treasury, GAAP matters and modified cash-basis)
- Financial planning and analysis – for the overall organization and for particular programs and grants
- Annual audit and Form 990 filing process
- Financial systems reporting and refinement
- Scoping current technology, platform, process or structural improvements for financial systems
- State compliance (we’re currently in 13 states as we cover the nation for news and we use a PEO — Justworks — to make that easier)
- Working with the CEO, other executive team members, revenue team members, and other staff on financial analysis and ad hoc queries
- Implementing accounting practices, policies and procedures that conform to GAAP
- Designing, implementing and sustaining internal controls over financial reporting in a manner that ensures the accounting information is reliable and our assets are safe
- Managing a comprehensive financial planning and budgeting process (and reporting/analyzing actual-to-budget variances)
- Implementing prudent practices, policies and procedures that mitigate the risk of fraud.
- Directing all insurance programs to ensure that policies with adequate terms, conditions and coverage levels are in place
- Directing all cash management and treasury activities
- Managing contract negotiations and legal matters
- Providing periodic presentations and briefings to the Board of Directors with the rest of the leadership team)
Relevant skills include:
- Experience as a CFO in a small business that is early-stage and growing quickly
- 7+ years of accounting/finance experience
- Direct FP&A and data analysis skills (Superior Excel chops)
- Proven hands-on problem-solving skills (we’re a small, rapidly growing business)
- Supervision of legal contracts and ad hoc legal matters
- System experience that matches ours is a plus (QBO, Expensify, Bill.com and CRMs).
- Experience building and implementing finance systems
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with a wide range of teams
- Fluency in G-suite and Office
- CPA, MBA or CFA a plus
- Not-for-profit and / or news industry experience a plus
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (13 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Spending Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply at the link below by November 21, 2021 at 12AM CT. Have questions about this position? Contact Emily Ramshaw, CEO, at [email protected]. Please note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email.