Starting salary: $80K/year
Do you have dozens of alerts sent to your phone? Are you someone who acknowledges, but ultimately ignores, reminders to stop doomscrolling? Are you a newshound who sees stories through a gender lens? The 19th wants to work with you! The 19th’s breaking news editor will assign, edit and frequently write the stories that drive the day, finding the most compelling gender angle on the biggest national headlines.
The ideal candidate has terrific judgment, experience writing and editing political stories, and the ability to quickly turn breaking news. This is a player-coach role for a person who has a competitive spirit, loves breaking news and scoops, and is comfortable on TV, the radio and the event stage.
- Assigning, writing and editing breaking news stories
- Managing editorial workflow and process of stories
- Working with other writers and editors on various editorial projects
Relevant skills include:
- 3+ years in a newsroom, with at least one year experience editing breaking news stories
- Understanding of Google Trends, Twitter, Facebook, CrowdTangle and other tools for finding trending stories
- Experience with content management systems, particularly WordPress, a plus
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (12 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
How to apply