Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Minimum salary: $70K/year
Location: Austin, TX (preferred but not required)
The 19th is hiring two Audience Engagement Producers to lead our social storytelling and audience development efforts across social platforms. The right person for this role follows gender, politics and policy news closely. You are adept at listening to audiences to discover trending topics and underreported stories alike, and will help our newsroom find relevant angles in those conversations. You know how to verify information in breaking news situations, and how to craft timely, credible information that meets readers where they are, from curated Twitter Moments to Instagram carousels. You know how to craft engaging social posts, and pitch (and sometimes write) conversational stories that serve our audience. You have a keen eye for shareable headlines and images (and ideally, solid SEO headlines). You know how to use analytics along with social trends to make audience-informed content programming decisions, in support of our growth and engagement goals. Most importantly: you will be one of the leading voices for our journalism and our mission with new audiences. The Audience Engagement Producers will report to the Audience Director.
- Distributing our journalism across Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Crafting accurate, compelling social copy and visuals on deadline
- Curating relevant stories from other news organizations for our audience
- Monitoring analytics to inform our programming strategy and meet growth goals
- Sharing conversation starters and callouts with relevant online communities
- Maintaining audience listening lists on platforms like Crowdtangle, Feedly and Twitter
- Pitching (and occasionally writing) stories inspired by audience insights and trends
- Communicating best practices for social media storytelling and engagement
- Supporting promotion of our newsletters, events and membership
Relevant skills include:
- 3+ years of social media production and engagement experience
- Experience creating and distributing content on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
- Experience writing stories and initiating community conversations on news of the day
- Familiarity with social scheduling and analytics tools, like Sprout and Crowdtangle
- Familiarity with creative editing software, such as Figma, a plus
- Self-starting, proactive and collaborative work style
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (13 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Spending Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply here by October 17 at 12AM CT. Have questions about this position? Contact Alexandra Smith, Audience Director at [email protected] Please note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email. All candidates must apply here.