Starting salary: $90K/year
Location: Austin, Texas
The audience director will lead The 19th*’s growth and engagement efforts, developing partnerships and distribution strategies that maximize our reach across platforms, with an initial programming focus on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The audience director will establish a framework for identifying and listening to our target audience (diverse, civically engaged women) in key markets across the country, pitching editorial content and product features that serve these readers, in alignment with our mission and business/audience goals. The audience director will develop a measurement and reporting strategy to educate stakeholders across editorial, product and business teams about our current and prospective users. This role reports jointly to The 19th’s Publisher and Editor in Chief.
- Leading a 3-person audience team, assigning and overseeing editorial and product initiatives to meet our reach/engagement/conversion goals
- Working with newsroom editors to implement an editorial SEO strategy
- Overseeing our analytics, including gathering and reporting of insights from across platforms to inform daily and strategic decisions
- Working with product colleagues to implement a user research strategy, including surveying of current and prospective users.
Relevant skills include:
- 4+ years experience working in audience development in a newsroom environment
- Familiarity with AP style and experience writing/editing on deadline (breaking news experience a plus)
- Proficiency in SEO and headline/copywriting for search and social media
- Deep understanding of audience data, analysis and reporting
- Excellent verbal communication, collaboration and presentation skills
- Experience working in an agile environment a plus
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes, or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Our benefits: health, dental and vision coverage; a 401(k) match; 20 days of paid time off; six months of paid family leave; flexible work hours; professional development/conference stipend.
Interested candidates should apply here by 11:59 pm CT on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020. Have questions about this position? Contact azamora [at] 19thnews.org. (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply here.)