Salary range: $165,000 – $200,000
Location: Remote (US)
Reports to: Publisher
Application deadline: June 26, 2023 at 5PM CT
The 19th* is hiring a Chief Technology Officer to lead the organization’s growing team of engineers and co-create a vision for how our organization applies technology to meet our mission. As CTO, you will grow and maintain the tech stack and infrastructure for our growing nonprofit news organization. You will also manage the deployment of technology resources to support 19th* stakeholders, including editorial, operations, product and revenue teams; readers and subscribers; and other external supporters and partners. You will vet all existing and proposed technologies to ensure that internal and external platforms operate efficiently and securely, in alignment with organizational goals. And you will support our burgeoning engineering team as a leader who can offer practical solutions and hands-on guidance, as well as strategic vision and direction.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Own site security, stability and performance metrics (communicating regularly to key stakeholders); Ensure site infrastructure is optimized for maximum reach and accessibility on third-party platforms
- Leverage user feedback, knowledge of industry trends and platform analytics to identify, prioritize and assign system enhancements and bug fixes
- Evaluate technical requests from editorial, operations, product and revenue teams. Communicate constraints, tradeoffs and priorities
- Own and expand on our code standards, code review and quality assurance processes to increase efficiency and minimize technical debt
- Grow a team of engineers and lead them in feature development and debugging best practices.
- Manage technology budget and contractor resources
- Own relationships with software and hardware technology vendors
- Train staff in security protocols and best practices
Non-essential functions (as capacity permits):
- Participating in culture building, inclusive decision making and bringing ideas to different parts of our work to help us improve as an organization, such as by helping onboard new team members or participating in our hiring process.
- Participating in team, organizational and individual relationship building, and professional development throughout the year.
Relevant skills include:
- 5+ years of experience owning site infrastructure and leading technology teams
- A track record of leading improvements to site speed, technical SEO and accessibility
- Established relationships with engineers in the news industry
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with a wide range of teams, from editorial to audience to events to product to revenue
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Vacation time off (20 days per year)
- Sick time off (10 days per year)
- Personal time off (6 days per year)
- Holidays (18 days on average)
- Paid family leave (100% up to 6 months)
- Caregiver leave (100% up to 4 months)
- 401(k) plan (up to 3.5% matching on 6% contribution)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical or child care expenses)
- Health Savings Account
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (100% for employee / 60% for dependents)
- Professional development stipends
- Wellness and work from home reimbursement benefits
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Life insurance
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply here by June 26, 2023 at 5PM CT. Have questions about this position? Contact [email protected] (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply here.)