Applications for this role have now closed. Please see our jobs page for our open positions.
Starting salary: $70,000/year
The 19th is seeking a talented photo editor to help lead visual storytelling efforts across our website, newsletters and social platforms. The ideal candidate will have a background in photojournalism, a passion for humanizing stories with on-the-ground photography and experience editing and commissioning multimedia content. As Photo Editor, you will own our daily photo assignments: researching the perfect wire art to complement a story and commissioning original photography with women and LGBTQ+ photographers in mind. You will also be responsible for managing video content from 19th events and helping the audience team craft visual narratives across social platforms. Experience creating photo illustrations and editing motion graphics is a plus.
This person will work closely with the editorial department and report jointly to The 19th’s editor in chief and creative director.
- Coordinate with the newsroom for daily photo selection on tight deadlines
- Commissioning original photography both for individual stories and photo essays, managing both the budget and deadline
- Occasional creation of photo illustration
- Selection and resizing of photos for cross-platform purposes, including social media, newsletters and video stills
- Overseeing The 19th’s event video production and packaging for YouTube and other channels
Relevant skills include:
- Advanced proficiency in photograph editing software, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Experience editing/producing audio and video, including Adobe Creative Suite and/or other multimedia software
- Experience managing DAM software
- Understanding of and continued education around photography trends and related technologies
- Mid-level design skills to help design photo collages as needed
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (12 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply here by March 19, 2021. Have questions about this position? Contact [email protected] (Note: We are not accepting résumés or applications via email; apply here.)