Starting salary: $80K/year
Some of the biggest stories that affect women’s lives are hidden in plain sight; it just takes a reporter to delve into the data and find them. The 19th’s data visuals reporter will do just that, by mining records, navigating government databases, and dissecting datasets to find trends and stories that explore and explain gender inequities. You should be able to think novelly about what overlooked stories exist in data, as well as how data can buttress the strength of The 19th’s ongoing reporting.
The data visuals reporter will work closely with other reporters to develop data visualizations for daily and enterprise stories, in addition to designing and developing stories both on a quick-turn and for longer narratives built on data.
- Pitching and reporting standalone stories that use data as source material
- Collaborating across the newsroom to create data visualizations to accompany stories by other reporters and editors
- Creating data visualizations that work across social media platforms
- Crafting strategy for how data is used across The 19th
Relevant skills include:
- 3+ years of newsroom data reporting and visualization experience
- Proven skill of data analysis, and proficiency with spreadsheets and databases
- Knowledge of at least one programming language, such as R, Python or SQL
- Datawrapper experience a plus
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
- 20 days paid time off, plus major holidays (12 per year)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible work hours
- Professional development/conference stipend
- Up to 6 months paid family leave
- Flex Plan (for medical or child care expenses)
- Disability insurance (ST and LT)
- Life insurance
- Caregiver leave
How to apply